This will not be such a beautiful day for me as I have to have my 11 yr. old black lab put down. Granted, she has driven me crazy at times with barking at anyone who even came near our house, but for all this time I've felt safer and more loved - even when I wasn't being very lovable. Lately, she hasn't the energy to bark at much of anything.
Jezebel really belonged to my eldest daughter. Even though Dee left for school a few months after we got Jez, this dog was always soooo excited to see her when she came back home. All I had to say was "where's Dee?" and Jez would be turning circles and running to look out the window.
Ever since she was a puppy she liked to curl up under my chair at the kitchen table. As she grew, she would still attempt to fit herself under the chair, but eventually had to just lay with her head under it. I think it might take awhile before I stop twisting my body and legs to stand from that chair as to avoid disturbing her.
The experts tell you not to let your dog on the furniture, but I let my dogs sleep on the bed with me (or with my kids). Lately, Jez hasn't been able to jump onto the bed so she resigned herself to sleeping on her pillow next to my bed, or on the rug. My dogs also found a spot on the couch to perch and watch for "intruders" coming near the house. It was an old couch so I didn't much care, and when I got a new one I just put a cover on it. Watching Jezebel, who used to gracefully hop up on it, struggle to get her hind legs to come up with the rest of her, was difficult to watch last night. Thankfully the only steps she's had to negotiate is the step down as she goes out the dog door.
I remember a time that I had left a steak, still on the styrofoam plate, wrapped in plastic, on the back of the stove to thaw. Came home to find the styrofoam plate in the living room. I thought it was nice of the 2 labs to share with the cockapoo (who couldn't get out the dog door). I still come home to find pans I've left after cooking licked clean - even if they were put in the sink! Of course, Jezebel will act all innocent and try to make her sister, Jasmine, take the blame!
As much of a pain as Jezebel could be, she was loved, and she loved us. Dogs don't want to let you know they're hurting or sick, but looking in her eyes I believe she's ready to go. The light has already gone out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment